Quick Exit
rss feed logo
logo for Kent and Medway Safeguarding Adults Board

Kent and Medway SAB

Report abuse

KMSAB Sliding Scale images

What is abuse?

There are different types of abuse and it can happen anywhere.

Abuse occurs when someone exploits another person or treats them in a way that harms or hurts them. It can happen once or on multiple occasions. People who abuse are not always strangers. They can be partners, relatives, a friend, neighbour or carer.

What happens after abuse is reported?

If you report abuse:

  • Every report of abuse is taken seriously
  • You will be listened to and asked to provide information about the situation
  • You will be encouraged to give your name to enable your concerns to be followed up
  • Professionals will make enquiries about the concerns. They will contact the adult at risk to involve them in the safeguarding process wherever possible, unless to do so may place them at further risk initially. 

Find out how to report, recognise and protect yourself and others from abuse and neglect:

Report to Kent Police

To report abuse to Kent Police, visit the Kent Police website for a number of services that you can use including a textphone service, Live Chat or a self-crime reporting option.

British Sign Language (BSL) speakers can make a BSL video call to 999.

Deaf people can use 18000 to contact 999 using text relay.

Mental Health Support

PREVENT and Extremism

We all have a responsibility to keep our county and the people in it safe. Extremism and radicalisation in our community are very real threats to our society and being aware is the first step. You can help to reduce the threat from terrorism, radicalisation and extremism by being vigilant, knowing what to report and reporting it. Visit the Kent County Council website for more information on how to report your concerns.

Further Information

To find out more about adult safeguarding, see our Adult Safeguarding Useful Resources and Making Safeguarding Personal pages.