Safeguarding Adults Awareness Week 2021
The Kent and Medway Safeguarding Adults Board is supporting the 2021 National Safeguarding Adults Awareness week, hosted by the Ann Craft Trust.
The week aims to raise awareness on the different types of abuse or neglect and how concerns can be reported. We all have a responsibility to look after each other, but some people don’t report their concerns because they don’t know the key signs, feel it isn’t their business or don’t know who they should talk to. The result is that councils, health providers and other organisations miss out on important information that could help them protect adults from exploitation and abuse. By working together with Kent’s many organisations, we aim to empower members of the public to act when they are worried about the welfare of another person.
Types of abuse
Adults can be at risk of different types of abuse and it can happen anywhere. This could be an adult neglecting themselves, or when someone else treats them in a way that harms or hurts them. It can happen once or on multiple occasions, People who abuse are not always strangers, they can also be partners, relatives, a friend, neighbour, or carer.
Read more about the different types of abuse
The theme of the week is ‘Creating Safer Cultures’ with each day presenting its own theme:
- Monday – Emotional Abuse and Safeguarding Mental Health
- Tuesday – The Power of Language
- Wednesday – Digital Safeguarding
- Thursday – Adult Grooming and the Ann Craft Trust Safeguarding Conference
- Friday - Creating Safer Organisational Cultures
- Saturday & Sunday – Safeguarding and You
You can help the KMSAB to share the key messages to the public on how to recognise abuse and report concerns by following these four steps:
- Visit the KMSAB awareness raising resources website page to download the KMSAB Media Resource Pack and share where you can.
- Share Social Media messages (email KMSAB@kent.gov.uk for access to the content plan)
- Host events, big or small! (email KMSAB@kent.gov.uk to request merchandise)
- Let us know of your valued contributions via the Activity Report Form.